Saturday, August 2, 2008

Drugstore price challenge

I was given a hint several weeks ago that NYC's Bed Bath and Beyond stores (or at least, the one on 6th Ave & 18th Street) stocks super-discounted drugstore staples and toiletries. They don't sell this stuff on the Bed Bath and Beyond website, unfortunately. I had been finding good deals online at Drugstore.com but lately, I've noticed that the prices are only competitive when they're having a sale. While Recession This! does advocate sale hunting - I find it valuable to have a reliable, reasonably priced source for basic drugstore items.

I did some price comparison between Bed Bath and Beyond(BBB), Drugstore.com’s regular prices and ubiquitous local drugstore chain Duane-Reade (DR). It's is a very casual comparison and not every item was available at all 3 stores. To my surprise, BBB comes out significantly cheaper on every item.
Here are the results:
Please take note that prices change at the whim of the market and this is only a comparison of a few items over a few days.

No comments: