Thursday, August 14, 2008

Recessionista: Fabulously Fit

As a marathon runner I am clad in active wear just about every day. I've accumulated quite a running wardrobe over the years, and, admittedly, I'm a sucker for all things Nike. (Except their shoes which don't offer me enough support. But I digress.) However, in these recession times Nike prices aren't jiving with my budget, so I've done a little research on where to get good looking sportswear for less.

Let's start with Old Navy where I discovered tanks and shorts for $14.50 each. I even saw a pair of shorts on sale for $8.00. They offer a wide array of colors, though not as many styles as one might want, but compare this with Nike's $25.00 - $65.00 price tag and, well, you don't have to do the math to know that you're saving major ducats. And, if you need more encouragement, my good friend and avid runner Mariana wore a pair of Old Navy shorts on a 16 miler and said they were super comfortable.

Next I did a little on line visit to Kmart where I found a decent selection of running and yoga wear. Not much variety, but lots of cute colors. And, I noticed a scuba hoodie for $8.00. Their prices start even cheaper than Old Navy, ranging from $7.99 - $14.99.

It's hard to find good deals at places that specialize in sportswear. So, if you want to look great running in the park or in the yoga studio or even in the gym and you don't want to spend a lot of dinero get your gear from retailers that carry a variety of merchandise.

No comments: