Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Recessionista: Nothing to Wear? Call A Friend!

It happens all the time. You've got a swanky NYC party to attend and it's going to require wardrobe no less than something out of Sex & The City. Three hours before the shindig you're in your closet and nothing is right. You can't wear that BCBG dress because 3 friends who will be at the party saw you in it two months ago. That sexy yellow thingy you bought on impulse still doesn't have matching shoes or coordinating accessories. Before you panic and run for the nearest "Clothes for Ho's" pick up the phone and call someone who knows your closet. Sometimes a friend can offer a perspective on your wardrobe that you can't see because, hey, you bought those H&M pants to go with the Daffy's blouse and they can't possibly go with anything else...can they? I speak from experience. Recently, I had a loft party in Soho that I wasn't going to miss, but after destroying my closet I still had nothing to wear. I called my friend Amanda to find out what she was wearing. Sensing my problem Amanda suggested I wear "those cute denim shorts" she's seen me in, like, once. I never imagined those shorts could be anything other than super casual, but Amanda said I should pair them with a fancy top and some heels. Sure enough, I found something totally perfect in my closet to go with the Forever 21 shorts. A pair of gold heels and gold clutch, a long green and gold necklace, and gold earrings completed the outfit...and I didn't have to spend a dime. To top it off, I looked very "Soho Loft Party". So remember, you've got three life lines: always phone a friend first!

No comments: