Saturday, December 13, 2008

Holiday Gift Ideas: Homemade

This is a great time to exercise your creative side. Instead of spending loads of dough on gifts that might never get looked at after 12/25, give something meaningful to those you love. Oprah's Favorite Things this year included "Gratitude Boxes", which are easy to make, personal, and don't have to cost a dime.

One thing I do with my family is bake desserts. My sisters and I each bring a recipe -- cookies, cakes, puddings -- and spend a day baking in my mother's kitchen. We then box up the goodies as gifts for extended family members. The baked goods are a big hit. Plus, getting to spend the day baking with my mom and sisters is better than anything I could ever open under the tree.

I've already sung the praises of Kodak Gallery, but printing out pictures for loved ones is a great gift, especially in this age of digital photography. Pictures stay in our cameras or iPhoto and never see the side of a piece of photo paper. Transfer those photos to a cd, take it over to the 24 hour photo place, and print to your heart's content. Cheap, easy, and something anyone will appreciate.

Got a friend or loved one who is too busy to take their clothes to the dry cleaner / organize their desk / repair broken appliances? Surprise them by taking care of some of the things they can't take care of themselves! One of the best gifts I ever received was when a friend surprised me by having my broken camera repaired. And, I know I'd love it if someone offered to organize my desk at home!

There are countless things you can make or do for the people on your holiday shopping list. So, get creative and save yourself some money at the same time.

No comments: